Sunday, March 08, 2009

"Nobody wants to read about your feelings"

I wasn't sure how to reply when someone told me this. It was harsh, but it wasn't surprising and I totally expected it (considering the source). But it did make me think about where "online personal journal" begins and "blog used for professional purposes" ends.

When I first started blogging, it was when I went abroad to teach English in South Korea. This blog wasn't really meant for an employer to see, or even other writers to see. Its sole purpose was to keep friends and family informed of my comings and goings in a new country. Therefore talking about your feelings and how you're surviving emotionally didn't seem odd or out of place, it seemed, in fact, quite practical. When I returned to Canada, however, I guess I didn't really realize that blogs had evolved to something much more. Blogs are now an extension of your resume. This was a pretty unsettling revelation for me.

After being told, "nobody wants to read about your feelings" I purged all of my online material, and now a void remained. What the hell do I talk about now? I stared at my screen and blinked at it for a good hour. Nothing to say. Many have suggested I write about music, but I'm not sure I can, as I find it hard to be critical of something that I'm so closely involved with. It's almost as if I feel like a traitor, knocking down a friend when I should be supportive. So what's left?

I guess I'll figure it out as I go, and perhaps it'll evolve naturally. As for now, I'm focusing on how interaction between all of us has been altered via technological progress. Unfortunately or fortunately this may require talking about the "F" word and I suppose this is unavoidable when talking about human interaction. Having said that, I'll keep most of my emotional oil spills to myself, no need to pollute the cyberspace with a rant that means nothing to no one.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do we need to go over the rules about "its" and apostrophes?

6:17 AM

 
Blogger ~drea said...

Apparently we do. SIGH

6:49 AM

 
Blogger LP said...

you can and should make comments about music, because you are one of the priviledged 10% of the population that knows jack about it.

12:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home