Wednesday, March 04, 2009

As the walls crumble the mystery disappears.

There is a good possibility that I know exactly what you're doing at this very moment. Me and about 100-400 other people are "following" you and "creeping" around your virtual space. If you've posted it, I know how you felt this morning and how you'll feel during the day and I'll likely know how you feel at the very end of the day too.

Too much information? Is it beneficial to have all these walls suddenly disappear? Is it necessary for me to tell EVERYONE I know how I'm feeling/doing every 4 minutes? The virtual world is getting more expansive and we're able to be close to everyone in a less intimate way. You may go out for a beer, and start telling a story and half-way through your sentence you'll get "ya dude, I read that on your twitter this morning".

Walls are a necessity because no one truly wants to know everything about someone. Discovery is what propels people forward, it propels friendships and relationships forward. Every little nugget you learn about that person (in person) is a little treasure for you and them. It means they've decided to share something with you, and you only, that is special. It doesn't matter if they decide to share with others also, it is the intimacy shared in that moment together that matters.

Walls are a necessity because you should be able to have a good time away from work, and not have it haunt you in your workplace.

Walls are a necessity because your mother doesn't really need to know that you use the F word every other sentence with your buddies.

Walls are a necessity because no one should have to suffer your urge to be passive aggressive online.

Walls are a necessity because you should be able to forgive and forget and not have the past appear every time you think you've finally moved on.

Having said that, perhaps social media has a way of making us more honest. But honesty at what cost?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger nadine said...

Very eloquently said, Andrea. And it's something I also wrestle with, that line between honesty and openness.

When does social networking become verbal diarrhea? Where do I draw the line? What should remain in a journal and stay far away from my blogging world?

P.S. Welcome to Twitter. Where some people spill all, some keep it business-focused, and others tell hilarious lies.

5:51 AM

 
Blogger ~drea said...

I've been thinking about technology today and how it affects human interaction a lot lately. Sometimes I feel like it's the most exciting and best thing that's happened to us, other times I feel like we're missing out on the satisfaction of physical interaction. It's simplistic, but yet more emotionally charged and intimate.

What's stopping us from becoming alomst robotic?

PS. Thanks! I hope that I get more followers, it seems that I only know a handfull of people.. hence not so fun at the moment.

7:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home